Sunday Morning Coffee May 27th
I would like to take the time out today to step away from the Real Estate Sunday morning and recognize the holiday this weekend. Well everyone, Happy Memorial Day!
I would like to honor those who have served and given their lives for our country.
Here are five fast facts about Memorial Day.
1. Originally called Decoration Day, it was officially proclaimed in 1868 to honor Union and Confederate soldiers.
2. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed the date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.
3. Memorial Day was expanded after World War I to honor those who died in all American wars and declared a national holiday in 1971. It was also placed on the last Monday in May.
4. The National Moment of Remembrance Act was signed into law in 2000 and encourages all Americans to pause wherever they are at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service to the nation.
5. Today, Memorial Day honors more than one million men and women who have died in military service since the Civil War.